10.24.2007

LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!

The past week - hell that last MONTH - hell the rest of the YEAR - is an insane time for live music in Austin. Typically, established touring bands hit the road in the fall, leaving the summer months to the kiddos getting their feet wet and touring for the first time and/or your package tours (Warped, Ozzfest) and festivals (Coachella, Bonnaroo). Last week was a particularly good one, and I spent Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night at Red 7 soaking up some sounds (jesus that sounded lame...)

Wednesday was the 'Hey It's Not 1995 But Let's Pretend It Is Tour' bringing back female-fronted punk icons The Avengers (ok so they're history is more 70s and 80s era) and queer punks Pansy Division. In all honesty, the only Pansy Division song I am familiar with is the one on the Angus O.S.T. (now THAT was a banger). But my attendance was based solely on the desire to finally see Red 7 dudebro Jared Cannon's ludicrous Oi band Career Criminal (RBC 4 Lyfe!) Needless to say it was the "worst show we've ever played" in bassist (and good friend) Colby Holliday's words and... I believe him.

Thursday things got much better. Two local bands who I do a lot of business with through Giant Steps Productions - Death Got Killed and The Cabaret - opened for one of my new favorite bands Four Year Strong.



This band is absolutely incredible. Super tight kick drums turn otherwise bubble-gum pop songs into hardcore-powerpop anthems. Their stage presence was incredible and the band (and crowd's) energy was relentless. Loads of kids singing along and, due to the presence of all the San Antonio scene kids, who for whatever reason seem to be more true to hardcore tradition than Austin's yuppie-offspring, suburban punks, there was loads of 2-stepping. No bullying into each other and pushing people around in meathead my-machismo-is-bigger-than-your's fashion. Just kids going nuts and leaving it all on the dance floor.



I particularly love Four Year Strong's lyrics. Anthemic gang vocals abound on their debut, Rise or Die Trying. "Heroes Get Remembered" is simply amazing and the breakdown had everyone in the place joining in the sing-a-long: 'sad enough to say that alone I can barely light a match but together we can burn this place down.' It really doesn't get any better than that! I expect a lot of big things from Four Year Strong as the word gets out on them. (Thank me later dudes!)

Victory Records' A Day to Remember headlined this bill. With hoodies that claim A Day to Remember to be "The Heaviest Pop Punk Band on Earth," I had mixed feelings about what to expect. And like my feelings, Remember's set was kinda all over the place. I checked out the track "Monument" prior to the show on their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/adaytoremember) and kinda dug that track - although it was VERY similar to what Four Year Strong do and I'm clearly enamored with that band. Unfortunately the rest of the set wasn't as "poppy" as "Monument," and those boastful hoodies, would leave one to believe. But this band seems to be carrying around backpacks full of scene credibility - Nike Dunks, huge plugs in their ears, and a logo written in the Collegiate font (look it up) - and the kids seemed to love them for this.

Just for kicks, check out the band's cover of Kelly Clarkson's hit "Since You've Been Gone." I don't hide my love for this song - it's one hell of a pop song folks, get over it - and their cover, though less awesome, is still pretty cool.

Friday was a bunch of friends playing at Red 7 again - Closed Eyes Take Lives and The Artillery. Expect a review of The Artillery's debut EP shortly, as I've promised the band I'll help them build some press clips - hey, I do what I can.

Unfortunately band practice is looming, so my thoughts on the Portugal, The Man and Rocky Votalato show at Stubb's (inside) will have to wait. No worries, as tonight finds the girlfriend and I going to see ANOTHER of her favorite bands, Lucero, at Emo's.

No comments: